The school food standards changed in January 2015. This course is designed to help you understand and meet the new standards. It is for anyone responsible for providing food in schools in England and for professionals who support, advise or mentor schools on their food. The information is evidence-based, and is in line with the most up-to-date government research and advice on nutrition for school-aged children.
Through step-by-step information, this course will help you to:
- understand why standards for school food are needed, and how these apply in schools in England,
- understand the revised school food standards, and how these differ from the existing standards,
- feel confident to plan lunch menus to meet the revised school food standards
- feel confident to plan food provision to meet the revised standards at times other than lunch - such as breakfast clubs, mid-morning break, vending and after school clubs.
- understand appropriate portion sizes to meet children’s nutritional requirements
- understand how to check menus against the revised school food standards
- know where to look for further information and support.
You will need to complete each module before moving on to the next.
We recommend you have a copy of ‘School Food Standards - A practical guide for schools their cooks and caterers’ (this can be downloaded from the resources section) to hand as you work through the training. A copy of your menu will also be useful so you can note down any ideas during the course.